BUFFALO, NY (June 12, 2018) – Providing care for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease can be stressful and isolating, but support groups can provide coping tools and a welcoming embrace from others in the same position.
The Alzheimer's Association Western New York chapter oversees close to three dozen monthly caregiver support groups across the region. The groups meet monthly, and are designed to provide emotional and social support for caregivers and help participants develop methods and skills to solve problems. Some locations also offer free respite programs for persons with dementia to make it easier for care partners to attend the meetings. These are some of the newer locations offering meetings in Erie County:
* East Amherst 1st Saturday, 11:30am, Amherst Church of Christ, 8285 Transit Road
* East Aurora 4th Wednesday, 10:30am, Baker Memorial United Methodist Church, 345 Main Street. Respite available - Call 1.800.272.3900
* Elma * NEW LOCATION * 3rd Tuesday, 6pm, Elma United Methodist Church, 2991 Bowen Road
* Hamburg 2nd Wednesday, 11am, Hamburg Wesleyan Church, 4999 McKinley Pkwy. Respite may be available – Call 1.800.272.3900
* Kenmore 1st Tuesday, 11am, Kenmore United Methodist Church, 32 Landers Road
* Orchard Park Last Monday, 10:30am, St. John Vianney Church, 2950 Southwestern Blvd.
Information about all the other support group meetings that take place across WNY is available by visiting the Chapter’s website at alz.org/WNY or by calling 1.800.272.3900.