North Korea revives 'dotard' label in warning to Trump over 'Rocket Man' remarks

SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s comments on military force and the North’s leader, Kim Jong Un, would represent “a very dangerous challenge” if they were intended to provoke Pyongyang, a top North Korean diplomat said on Thursday

Trump’s comments threaten to return the two countries to the tensions of two years ago, Choe Son Hui, first vice-minister of Foreign Affairs for North Korea, said in a statement carried by state news agency KCNA.

In 2017 the two leaders famously engaged in a war of words, with Trump calling Kim “Rocket Man” and North Korea slamming the U.S. president, now 73, as a “dotard”.

Since then Trump and Kim have met three times, but negotiations over North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile arsenal have stalled amid disagreements and rising tensions.

This year saw a number of short-range ballistic missile launches by North Korea, and Kim has warned that the United States has until the end of the year to change its stance or he could take an unspecified “new path.”

On Tuesday Trump once again called Kim “Rocket Man” and said the United States reserved the right to use military force against North Korea.

“If this is meant to make expressions, reminiscent of those days just two years ago when a war of words was fought across the ocean, surface again on purpose, it will be a very dangerous challenge,” Choe said, arguing that the comments aroused concern and undermined the dignity of North Korea’s leader.

The lack of courtesy shown to Kim had “prompted the waves of hatred of our people against the U.S. and the Americans and they are getting higher and higher”, Choe said.

“It would be fortunate” if Trump’s remarks were simply “an instantaneous verbal lapse, but the matter becomes different if they were a planned provocation that deliberately targeted us”, she said.

North Korea would watch closely to see if Trump repeated the comments, Choe said.

“If any language and expressions stoking the atmosphere of confrontation are used once again on purpose at a crucial moment as now, that must really be diagnosed as the relapse of the dotage of a dotard,” she concluded.

Trump said on Tuesday he still had confidence in the North Korean leader but noted that Kim “likes sending rockets up”.

“...That’s why I call him Rocket Man,” Trump told reporters at a NATO meeting in London.

Trump added that Washington could use military force. “If we have to, we’ll do it.”

On Wednesday, North Korea’s army chief said he was disappointed by Trump’s suggestion of using military force against Pyongyang, and warned that any strike would meet “prompt corresponding actions”.

Reporting by Josh Smith, Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by Giles Elgood

 

Panorama Hispano is the regional news and information newspaper for Hispanic and other diverse communities.

US Hispanics are now the largest ethnic minority in the United States numbering 54.2 million as of July 2014. Serving: Buffalo, Rochester, Fredonia, Niagara Falls, NY and Erie, PA. Outside our Market area: Visit our affiliate at: http://www.impremedia.com/

Contact us: Contact@PanoramaHispanoNews.com

Featured News

Mar 1, 2021
Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue Lauds Trump as 'Real' and 'Legitimate' President at CPAC

Robert Unanue, the chief executive officer at Goya Foods, Inc., continued to praise Donald Trump and align himself with the former president's false voter fraud allegations during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Sunday. Although Trump's term in the White House ended with President Joe Biden's January 20 inauguration—after which point […]

Read More
Feb 28, 2021
FDA autoriza el uso de emergencia de la vacuna contra el COVID-19 de Johnson & Johnson

Es de una sola dosis y se convierte en la tercera en ser aprobada en Estados Unidos La Administración de Medicamentos y Alimentos de Estados Unidos (FDA, en inglés) autorizó este sábado el uso de emergencia de la vacuna contra el COVID-19 de Johnson & Johnson (J&J), convirtiéndose en la tercera en ser aprobada en […]

Read More
Feb 28, 2021
Canelo Alvarez dominates Avni Yildirim by third-round TKO as corner throws in towel

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — Saul “Canelo” Alvarez outclassed Avni Yildirim and retained his world super-middleweight titles with a technical knockout after Yildirim failed to answer the bell for the fourth round Saturday night. Alvarez, of Mexico, dropped the Turkish challenger with a left right combination to the head midway through the third round. Alvarez […]

Read More

popular categories

Copyright © 2021 Panorama Hispano News. All Rights Reserved.
crossmenuchevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram