Buffalo, NY –October 13, 2015, Mayor Byron Brown presented the 2015 Mayor’s Hispanic Heritage Awards, an honor that is part of the city’s observance of Hispanic Heritage Month. This year’s honorees were recognized for their achievements in community service.
“Buffalo is a city that embraces diversity and inclusion,” said Mayor Brown. “Hispanic Heritage Month is a wonderful opportunity for us to learn more about one of Buffalo’s great cultures and the contributions Hispanics have made in our city and nation.”
Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated annually throughout the United States from September 15 to October 15 and pays homage to the culture, tradition and contributions of American citizens with Hispanic roots.
The following individuals and organizations were honored at the 2015 ceremony:
- Aileen González-Marti-Director of Senior Services, Hispanos Unidos de Buffalo
- Dinorah Santos, Community Relations Specialist, Community Services for the Developmentally Disabled
- John Sanabria, Co-founder of the Roberto Clemente Baseball League
- Luis Reyes, Legislative Aide, City of Buffalo
- Provedencia Carrion, Educator, Retired
- Miguel Santos, Consumer Advocate, National Grid
- Greater Buffalo United Accountable Healthcare Network (GBUAHN)
- Hispanic Women’s League