El Salvador president faces probe over search for wartime massacre files

SAN SALVADOR (Reuters) - A court in El Salvador has asked the prosecutor’s office to investigate whether President Nayib Bukele and his defense minister blocked a judicial inspection of military archives aimed at uncovering evidence of a massacre in 1981.

According to a court document released on Monday, the inspection was connected to a probe of the killing of nearly 1,000 people, around half of them children, in El Mozote during the country’s civil war to bring justice for the victims.

El Salvador’s government for years denied having perpetrated the slaughter. But in 2012 the government of then-President Mauricio Funes acknowledged the state’s role and apologized to the victims’ families.

One of the worst tragedies of the war that pitted leftist guerrillas against the U.S.-backed Salvadoran army, soldiers executed unarmed villagers of El Mozote and surrounding hamlets in the eastern part of the country as they searched for guerrillas.

On June 15, the San Francisco Gotera court in charge of investigating the case ordered a series of legal searches at military headquarters.

But on six different occasions between September and October, soldiers denied Judge Jorge Guzman and a group of experts entry to various facilities.

“Crimes have been incurred by act or omission on the part of the president of the republic and general commander of the armed forces, and the national defense minister, who allegedly gave the order to deny access,” the court document said.

The document asked the prosecutor’s office to investigate the possible theft, destruction, concealment or displacement of documents.

Bukele said in September military files relating to the massacre had been destroyed and that it was not clear by whom. Bukele promised to “declassify” and hand over to the authorities the few documents left.

The president’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Reporting by Nelson Renteria; Writing by Stefanie Eschenbacher; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall

Panorama Hispano is the regional news and information newspaper for Hispanic and other diverse communities.

US Hispanics are now the largest ethnic minority in the United States numbering 54.2 million as of July 2014. Serving: Buffalo, Rochester, Fredonia, Niagara Falls, NY and Erie, PA. Outside our Market area: Visit our affiliate at: http://www.impremedia.com/

Contact us: Contact@PanoramaHispanoNews.com

Featured News

Mar 5, 2021
Oil hits almost 14-month high after OPEC+ extends output cuts

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil prices jumped more than 2% on Friday, hitting their highest in nearly 14 months after OPEC and its allies agreed not to increase supply in April as they await a more substantial recovery in demand. Brent crude futures were up $1.52, or 2.3%, at $68.26 a barrel by 1008 GMT and […]

Read More
Mar 5, 2021
El próximo jueves iniciará la vista judicial por la alcaldía de San Juan

El candidato del Movimiento Victoria Ciudadana, Manuel Natal, alega fraude en las elecciones de la capital, en la que prevalecería Miguel Romero El próximo jueves, 11 de marzo, iniciará la vista en su fondo en el caso por la alcaldía de la capital del País, ordenó hoy el juez Anthony Cuevas Ramos, del Tribunal de […]

Read More
Mar 3, 2021
Papa Francisco afronta en Irak su viaje más arriesgado

El viaje que realizará el papa Francisco a Irak el próximo viernes, el número 33º de su pontificado, es un viejo empeño que ya fue cancelado el año pasado por la pandemia. También fue un sueño de Juan Pablo II que jamás llegó a realizar. Un encuentro pastoral y de acompañamiento a las minorías cristianas […]

Read More

popular categories

Copyright © 2021 Panorama Hispano News. All Rights Reserved.
crossmenuchevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram