Court blocks Trump order to exclude undocumented immigrants from census count

BY: Tara Bahrampour

A federal court on Thursday blocked a memorandum signed by President Trump seeking to exclude undocumented immigrants from being counted in the census for apportionment, saying such action would violate the statute governing congressional apportionment.

A special three-judge panel out of New York wrote that the president’s argument that undocumented immigrants should not be counted runs afoul of a statute saying apportionment must be based on everyone who is a resident of the United States.

The judges found that all residents must be counted for apportionment purposes regardless of their legal status.

The ruling declared the president’s July 21 memorandum to be “an unlawful exercise of the authority granted to the President,” and it blocked the Commerce Department and the Census Bureau from including information about the number of undocumented immigrants in their reports to the president after the count is completed. The ruling is likely to be appealed to the Supreme Court.

Dale Ho, director of the ACLU’s Voting Rights Project, and one of the attorneys who argued the case, called the ruling “a huge victory for voting rights and for immigrants’ rights. President Trump has tried and failed yet again to weaponize the census against immigrant communities. The law is clear — every person counts in the census.”

The ruling came hours after a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to produce internal documents connected to its sudden decision to end the 2020 Census count a month earlier than the Census Bureau had planned.

U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh gave the government three days to file all documents and communications between mid-April, when the bureau said it would extend the count to Oct. 31 due to the pandemic, and Aug. 3, when it abruptly said the count would end Sept. 30.

By law, the state population totals that will be used to reapportion seats in the House of Representatives for the next decade must be delivered to the president by Dec. 31 of the census year.

The shortened timeline is at odds with statements from senior bureau officials who had said the bureau could no longer provide a complete and accurate count by the end of the year, and it sparked legal challenges. Koh last week temporarily blocked the bureau from winding down the count after the government said it had already started doing so, until a hearing set for Sept. 17.

Members of Congress have also expressed concern about the change in schedule, saying a rushed count will lead to an inaccurate census, particularly in areas already behind in being counted.

At a hearing of the House Oversight Committee on Thursday, Chairwoman Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) questioned why the administration initially asked for the Oct. 31 extension and then reversed itself, even as an internal census document showed bureau officials warning that the shortened time would significantly damage the count.

“We do not have the full story,” she said, adding that statements from White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows implied that the administration had reversed its request to try “to control apportionment this year while [Trump] is still in office.” Census data is used to reapportion House seats every 10 years, to guide redistricting and to distribute over $1.5 trillion in federal funding.

Maloney said an undercount would harm Republican states as well as Democratic ones. Noting that such states as Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah could be harmed by an inaccurate count, she added, “That’s why a number of Republican senators have come out in support of extending the deadlines.”

A House coronavirus relief package approved the administration’s April request for a later end to the count that would have pushed the reporting deadline for apportionment to April 30. But a draft of a Senate coronavirus package has not included mention of the change. Congressional approval is required to change the reporting date.

Census experts have noted that the shortened count is only one part of the problem: The administration’s new timeline shortens the period for analyzing and correcting problems with the data from six months to three, and cuts out crucial steps from that stage.

Thursday’s ruling by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York was in response to two consolidated lawsuits over the memo — one filed by the ACLU, the New York Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of Texas and the law firm Arnold & Porter; and one filed by New York Attorney General Letitia James along with 23 attorneys general and 14 cities and counties across the country.

Other legal challenges to the memo include one by the government watchdog organization Common Cause and several cities, groups and individuals that was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

The judges in New York wrote that Trump’s memo “has created, and is likely to create, widespread confusion among illegal aliens and others as to whether they should participate in the census,” adding that the “chilling effect on census participation will likely also degrade the census data, harming state and local governments that rely on the data to carry out their public functions.”

Neither the White House nor the Justice and Commerce departments responded to requests for comment. The Census Bureau said it does not comment on ongoing litigation.

An earlier version of this story said 20 attorneys general had joined a lawsuit filed by New York Attorney General Letitia James in response to the memo signed by President Trump. Twenty-three attorneys general are part of the lawsuit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

James vence a Trump en el censo otra vez: La Corte dictamina que los inmigrantes indocumentados deben ser incluidos en el reparto del Congreso

NUEVA YORK – La Fiscal General de Nueva York, Letitia James, se anotó hoy otra gran victoria en la lucha por proteger el Censo Decenal de 2020 ante la Administración Trump al detener los intentos del Presidente Donald Trump de excluir a los inmigrantes indocumentados de la base de reparto tras el recuento del censo.

"Los repetidos intentos del Presidente Trump de obstaculizar, perjudicar y prejuzgar un censo exacto y el subsiguiente prorrateo han fracasado una vez más", dijo la Fiscal General James. "Los tribunales han dictaminado a nuestro favor en cada asunto del censo en los últimos dos años y han rechazado continuamente los esfuerzos ilegales del presidente Trump para manipular el censo con objetivos políticos. No podemos permitir que el continuo miedo y la xenofobia de la Casa Blanca nos impidan ser contados. Urgimos a todos a que llenen el censo, si es que no lo han hecho ya, y continuaremos tomando todas las acciones legales disponibles para asegurar que todas las comunidades sean contadas, que todas las comunidades estén debidamente representadas, y que todas las comunidades obtengan los fondos federales que necesitan y merecen".

En julio, la Fiscal General James encabezó una coalición de estados, ciudades y condados en la presentación de una demanda contra el Presidente Trump, el Secretario de Comercio Wilbur Ross y otros, después de que anunciaran que dejarían ilegalmente a millones de inmigrantes indocumentados fuera de la base de reparto que establece el número de miembros de la Cámara de Representantes que recibe cada estado. La demanda tenía por objeto impedir que la Administración Trump violara el requisito constitucional y estatutario de larga data de contar el "número total de personas" que residen en el país para el reparto, sin tener en cuenta la situación de la inmigración.

Hoy, un tribunal de tres jueces acordó con la Fiscal General James que el plan del presidente de excluir a los inmigrantes indocumentados de la base de reparto era ilegal. La corte declaró: "Los méritos de la disputa de las partes no son particularmente cercanos o complicados". En la decisión, la corte sostuvo que el Presidente Trump estaba violando la ley al tratar de cambiar la base de reparto, y que "el Presidente debe actuar de acuerdo con, y dentro de los límites de, la autoridad que el Congreso ha concedido. Por las razones expuestas anteriormente, concluimos que el Presidente no lo hizo en este caso y que el Memorando Presidencial es una violación 'ultra vires' de la delegación por el Congreso de su responsabilidad constitucional de contar el número total de personas en cada Estado y de repartir los miembros de la Cámara de Representantes entre los Estados según sus respectivos números".

La victoria de hoy es sólo la última de una larga lista de medidas que la Fiscal General James ha tomado para proteger la integridad del Censo Decenal de 2020. En 2018, la Oficina de la Fiscal General presentó una demanda contra la Administración Trump en respuesta a sus esfuerzos por añadir una pregunta de ciudadanía al censo. Esa demanda se abrió paso a través de múltiples tribunales, llegando finalmente a la Corte Suprema de los EE.UU. el año pasado, donde el tribunal dictaminó, el pasado mes de junio, a favor de Nueva York al prohibir a la Administración Trump que añadiera la pregunta de la ciudadanía al censo. En agosto del año pasado, la Fiscal General James intervino en otro caso de censo en Alabama, donde el gobierno federal fue acusado, en un esfuerzo por asegurar que el caso se presente adecuadamente y que cada residente en América - independientemente de su estatus de ciudadanía - sea contado en el censo. Además, a finales del mes pasado, la Fiscal General James encabezó una gran coalición para emprender acciones legales contra los esfuerzos de la Administración Trump por perjudicar el Censo Decenal de 2020 reduciendo -en un mes entero, del 31 de octubre al 30 de septiembre- el tiempo en que se aceptarán los cuestionarios de auto-respuesta y se realizarán seguimientos puerta a puerta por parte de los encuestadores del censo. El pasado fin de semana, un tribunal de distrito emitió una orden de restricción temporal para detener temporalmente el plan del presidente de perjudicar el censo.

Panorama Hispano is the regional news and information newspaper for Hispanic and other diverse communities.

US Hispanics are now the largest ethnic minority in the United States numbering 54.2 million as of July 2014. Serving: Buffalo, Rochester, Fredonia, Niagara Falls, NY and Erie, PA. Outside our Market area: Visit our affiliate at: http://www.impremedia.com/

Contact us: Contact@PanoramaHispanoNews.com

Featured News

Nov 30, 2020
This holiday season, everyone is shopping from home

NEW YORK (AP) — The viral pandemic is accelerating a transformation of America’s holiday shopping season. Few people showed up at the mall this weekend, with millions of pandemic-wary shoppers staying home to shop online. The result? Overall holiday sales are projected to rise a slight 0.9% in November and December — and even that […]

Read More
Nov 30, 2020
Buffalo Bills have had their share of hair-raising 2nd-half moments

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Difficult as it was watching the Buffalo Bills’ maddening inability to close out a win over the Chargers until the final minutes, coach Sean McDermott was at least able to laugh about it afterward. “If I’m laying on the ground one of these days, you’ll know why. You’ll know why,” […]

Read More
Nov 30, 2020
Arizona certifica triunfo de Biden sobre Trump

WASHINGTON (AP) — Autoridades de Arizona certificaron el lunes la apretada victoria de Joe Biden sobre el presidente Donald Trump en el estado. La secretaria de Estado, la demócrata Katie Hobbs, y el gobernador republicano Doug Ducey defendieron la integridad de los comicios incluso mientras los abogados de Trump se reunían del otro lado de […]

Read More

popular categories

Featured (1,525)
Mundo Latino (1,018)
Negocios / Tecnología (229)
Salud (183)
COVID 19 Updates (171)
Entretenimiento (147)
Vida y Estilo (224)
Deportes (124)
Locales / Regional (116)
Buffalo (1,161)
Dunkirk (899)
Rochester (869)
NY and Erie (809)
PA (680)
Opinión (86)
Copyright © 2020 Panorama Hispano News. All Rights Reserved.
crossmenuchevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram