Miss Borinquen Leadership Pageant - Committee Member Search
The Miss Borinquen Leadership Program of Western New York (MBLP) has been helping to empower young Latina women 15-19 years old for the past 12 years; by offering space, guidance and opportunity for growth, Miss Borinquen prepares its participants to become confident and effective role models in their communities.
Workshops on issues that are relevant and of impact to these young women in a safe, culturally sensitive and empowering environment help them grow into leadership roles and navigate the challenges that they face with sound and informed decisions. With this programming, along with the dedicated mentorship of women from their own communities, participants are poised to be successful in their educational endeavors, chosen careers, and day-to-day lives.
Since its inception a decade ago, the Miss Borinquen Leadership Program has evolved into much more than a pageant and has become a comprehensive leadership development curriculum that is readily recognized as both unique and effective, having changed the lives of over 100 young women in Buffalo and Western New York.
Committee Member Responsibilities:
- Work with MBLP staff to implement leadership development programs for program participants • that support active communication, making positive choices and high self-esteem
- Provide support to MBLP staff in the areas of planning, management, logistics and execution of the pageant event
- Recruit volunteers to assist with leadership workshops, pageant logistics and mentoring of young women and girls
- Assist with fundraising effort for the MBLP workshops and pageant event
- Support staff in building relationships among local schools, universities, businesses and other
community based organizations on behalf of the organization
- January through February: 10 hrs. per month
- April Through July: two Thursday evenings per month
- Week of pageant event: all evenings leading up to event
- An interest in working with, supporting and encouraging young women and girls of Latina descent
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team with fellow committee members, MBLP staff, youth and
- Highly positive and enthusiastic—enjoys having FUN!
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Excellent project management and planning skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in an organization that provides direct services to youth
- Competency in working with multicultural and bilingual young women and girls
- Experience and/or understanding of the development of leadership, critical thinking and self-esteem
support programs for youth.
If you are interested in serving on the Miss Borinquen Leadership Program’s committee, send a cover letter and resume to BOARDSEARCH@MORTENGROUP.COM by January 15, 2016.